SAUDI GERMAN HOSPITAL DUBAI
Our Tumor board includes group of doctors and other health care providers with different specialties that meets regularly at the hospital to discuss cancer cases and share knowledge. The board’s goal is to determine the best possible cancer treatment and care plan for an individual patient. Having fresh perspectives from other doctors makes it much easier to come up with that plan. The tumor board helps also to decide what additional treatment may the patient or may not need after a surgery, such as radiation therapy or chemotherapy.
Tumor boards allow discussion, dissemination, and implementation of general clinical practice guidelines such as those from the:
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- The American Society of Clinical Oncology
- The European Society of Medical Oncology
- Advanced Breast Cancer, etc;
– The related guideline for diagnosis and treatment of each cancer case is presented to achieve the best treatment plan.
– The SGHD Tumor boards can be seen as a form of second opinion conducted by our group of expert physicians that includes case review, evidence-based recommendation, and expert opinions. The expert opinion may causes change in Diagnosis and treatment plan of some patient.
The face-to-face discussions at a tumor board help everyone on patient cancer care team learn more details about the case. By working together, the team can evaluate all of the options that may improve patient treatment’s effectiveness. Having everyone in the same room, with all of their different and specialized knowledge, brings a lot of fresh perspectives and expertise to the process of deciding on a treatment plan.
Cases Reviewed at the Tumor Board:
Tumor board reviews all cancer cases at the SGHD. Also cases from outside the SGHD can be presented to the board members who would recommend further diagnostic or treatment plan following implementation of evidence-based medicine, or expert opinions when evidence is not available.
Doctors from the below specialities attends our Tumour Board Meetings
- General and Visceral Surgeon
- Medical oncologists
- Radiology Oncologist
- Urology Oncology
- Hematology Oncology
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Gynecology Oncology
- Plastic surgeons
- Pain Therapy and palliative care.
- ENT oncology
- Nuclear medicine Oncology
- A diverse range of other health care providers, including nurse specialists and social workers, may take part as well.
HOD and chair of Tumor Board: Professor Dr. Farouk Safi.